Geography at St George’s
At St Georges our aim is toinspire pupils with a curiosity and fascination about the world and its people that will remain with them for the rest of their lives. We also strive to equip pupils with knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human processes.
- Developing knowledge of location of places of global significance (physical and human characteristics and how they relate to one another)
- Processes leading to physical and human geographical features of the world (their interdependence about how they bring about spatial variation and change over time)
- Geographical skills
- Collect, analyse and communicate data (through fieldwork to deepen understanding of geographical processes)
- Interpret a range of sources including maps, globes, aerial photographs and GIS
- Communicate geographical information in a variety of ways (e.g. maps and writing at lengths)
Attainment Targets for Key Stage One
- Pupils to develop knowledge about the world, the UK and their locality
- To understand vocabulary (human/physical)
- First-hand observation
Attainment Targets for Key Stage Two
- Pupils to extend their knowledge and understanding beyond the local area and the UK to include Europe, North and South America.
- To include, location and characteristics of the world’s most significant human and physical features.
- To develop the use of geographical tools and skills to enhance locational and place knowledge.